Sunday, October 12, 2008

It's a date! Me, The Mister and Neil


Saturday morning found the Mister and I out running errands bright and early, making final selections for our still not finished kitchen. As we were on our way back from the west side, enjoying the drizzly weather and just being together, CJ starts mumbling/humming what sounds a little bit like Sweet Caroline, but the words are all wrong. He does this sort of thing often... usually he doesn't actually know the words to the songs he sings... he just makes them us as he goes.

"WHAT!?!" I yell, clearly annoyed..."HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW THE WORDS TO SWEET CAROLINE?!?IT'S ONLY THE BEST KARAOKE/SING ALOUD SONG EVER WRITTEN!?!"

My frustation, embarrassment and disappointment was hard to contain. I scrambled quickly with my IPOD to see if I had any Neil Diamond that I may have downloaded at some point for a "mixed tape" and there it was... we blasted Sweet Caroline as loud of the stereo would play. I tried to help him with the words... I needed to ensure that this kind of embarrassing exchange never happened again. So there we were, driving across town in the rain, singing at the top of our lungs... (neither of us any good, mind you) and CJ still making up words as he pleased. We sang and laughed hysterically as I teased and made fun of him for not knowing the words and he teased and made fun of me right back FOR knowing all the words. As we drove, I couldn't help but to think of how much I loved this guy!

End of Story, right?

Wrong!

Last night, as I was getting into bed, I pulled the shams and decorative pillows off the bed (see previous post) and there was a piece of paper laying there on my pillow with a very sweet note from the Mister. As I looked closer, I realized what it was...

A receipt for 2 tickets to see Neil Diamond LIVE in Concert on December 19th!



So, there you have it! We have 2 months to practice all the words and be ready to belt them out!

I never could have imagined that I would ever be going to a Neil Diamond Concert! It's so random and funny that I can't stop smiling!

What on earth will I wear? How about CJ? Is his trademark sweater vest appropriate or does he need a true "Leisure Suit"? What kind of people will be there? Who goes to Neil Diamond concerts anyway, besides the crazy Johnson's? Will he sing all my favorites? Do I know all the words? Will we be prepared and ready? I mean, he is an american icon after all.

No matter what, I have a feeling it's going to be an insanely fun night....just me, the Mister and Neil!

Thanks CJ! I love you!

8 comments:

Beckie said...

Uh, hello??!?! Cool people like me go to Neil Diamond concerts. Seriously, it was a blast! I'm excited for you - and what a sweet husband!

gina bina said...

I'm. So. Jealous. And Chris friggin' rocks!

Two Wheeler said...

Great story! For future reference, check out this website for other good "mis-singings".

Niel Diamond rocks BTW! :-)

Shannon said...

Are you kiddin, I love Neil. Chris is so great, love it!! I hope you two have a blast beltin' out ALL his hits!

Sharon said...

That is freakin awesome. I can just see you two fighting over the words to Neil Diamond. How hilarious. Hey my 28 year old boss (who is young, hip, beautiful and fully tatooed) is going, SHE ADORES HIM. So ROCK ON! Way to score some big points Chris.

Holly and Chris Kneeland said...

That is so fun! What a great surprise! Go sing your heart out!

Amy said...

Oh I am jealous! I have been telling my family that's what i am asking for for Christmas. It's funny too because me and Kevin were listening/singing to my Essential Neil Diamond CD just recently driving down to my parents, haha

The Whitmore's said...

I heart Chris very much! Good times never seemed so good, So Good, SO GOOD!

Thanks for coming last night! You are so great! What would I do without you? Thanks for being my friend! I love you.....FOREVER! xoxoxoAimo